Saturday 22 June 2013

Summer update...

Yes, the summer solstice was yesterday. I spent the day walking on Blakeney Point on the Norfolk coastline. I took a few photos that I might upload here at some point. It is a fantastic area, very quiet and remote. I plan on returning there with a microphone.

So the field recording has hit a bit of a standstill in recent times. My life has been a bit up in the air as I've moved back home from Bristol, and other things have been occuring that have kept me away from having much creative time and headspace. I think part of the problem is that I'm not fond of editing and looking at computer screens for long periods of time. So when I do occasionally go out and record things I rarely get round to uploading them.

However one of the things I've felt continually frustrated with is the lack of a proper professional microphone. I've worked with my Zoom H2, Fostex FR-2LE, and a pair of handmade omni-directional 'Brady Mics', as I named them after the man who kindly made and sold a pair to me. The setup I was primarily using was the Fostex and Brady mics, but I feel i've reached the limits of this now. So I have my eye on a Audio-Technica BP4025, which I believe is the sort of microphone I'm looking for. It has low self noise, produces a fantastic stereo image and looks sleek and compact. I had been considering the Rode NT4. But although I've used this mic before and was very impressed with it, I did find it a bit bulky and heavy. I have also read reviews comparing the two and the general consensus is that the BP4025 is much better.

I don't know when I'll be picking this microphone up. Probably next month after I've earned a bit of cash because it's not particularly cheap!

Anyway aside from all that I recently gave Traktor a go and made a mix of some random tracks I like. So here it is:



Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment