Friday 18 April 2014

Spring in the Brecon Beacons



Here's a recording I made on March 7th whilst walking in the Brecon Beacons. I did a circular walk up from the Taf Fechan Forest, then up the left hand side of the reservoir along Graig Fan Ddu, and over Corn Du, Pen Y Fan and Cribyn. Finally dropping down into the valley to join the far end of the reservoir.

 The Upper Neuadd Reservoir

 Corn Du and Pen Y Fan


Down in the valley near the Upper Neuadd Reservoir the whole area was alive with spring activity. There were many Frogs mating in drainage ditches and small pools. I heard the odd croaking as I was walking along, but every time I stopped and attempted to get nearer I frightened them away. However I later discovered they had also managed to reach the mountain pass between Pen Y Fan and Cribyn.

Spawn at the roadside

I managed to slide the microphone close to the edge of the pool and cabled back in order to not frighten them. Sadly I didn't have my hydrophone with me, but I love how the Frogs sound like much larger animals in this recording and the effect off the wind rushing across the mountain tops.

The small pool between Pen Y Fan and Cribyn





No comments:

Post a Comment