Thursday 12 August 2010

M11 contact mic study

So it's the summer and I'm here at my parents house for a few weeks, unfortunately the house is located beside the M11. However today instead of cursing it's evil noise pollution I decided to attach a microphone onto it.

This was also a good excuse to use my hydrophone, bought from Jez Riley French (http://hydrophones.blogspot.com/) as a contact microphone. What I got are some dark, industrial sounds, reminiscent of the cold concrete onto which the mic was attached. Interestingly enough though, whilst I was right underneath the motorway the sounds heard were predominately from vehicles passing beside me, the tunnel acting as a reverberating force whilst traffic thundered above.  Here is that very recording...

  Below the M11 by miles out in the field









1 comment:


  1. Hi!
    I was wondering what's interesting in use an hydrophone mic as a classic contact mic. What are the differences between them when used on a physical surface? Many thanks

    ReplyDelete